|Art by Alois Bell, Terrible Person|
For clarity, that reads, "I give God 10%, why do you get 18?" She then scratched out the tip and wrote a "0" in it's place. And made sure to add that she was a pastor.
A few additional notes:
- Pastors are not socially exempt from tipping.
- The customer claims to have left a $6 tip in cash.
- The waitress makes $3.50 / hour.
- The waitress is working at Applebee's to save money for college.
- The waitstaff doesn't make Applebee's policy.
The waitress shared the receipt with a coworker, who posted it to one of my favorite timesinks, Reddit, where it went viral. The Reddit Hivemind quickly discovered the pastor's name, Alois Bell, and then found her online. And then, Alois Bell heard from the Internet.
Alois Bell, Terrible Person, has since apologized for her actions, but not before calling Applebee's and getting the employee who posted the receipt was fired for posting it. The whole situation reminded me of a quote that I've found to be true.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."
- Dave Barry
At this point, the situation is done. I'm not sure there
- Shoutout to Alois Bell for being a terrible person.
- Shoutout to the employee who caller her out.
- Shoutout to Applebee's for doing the right thing, even if it isn't the popular thing.
- ...and shoutout to the Internet for calling people out for acting like jerks.